Here are seven simple suggestions to deter theft of your identity by wrongdoers:
- When paying credit card accounts by check, write only the last four digits of your account number, not the entire number.
- Shred all bank and credit statements.
- Shred all credit card offers.
- Photocopy both sides of your driver’s license and credit cards to have all account numbers, expirations dates and phone numbers if your wallet or purse is stolen. File away for safe keeping.
- Mail all bill payments at the post office.
- Don’t carry your Social Security card with you, and never write your number on a check.
- Review your credit report from each of the three major credit reporting agencies annually.